The island Katarina is on the south side of the city and 5 minutes away by boat, starting from the old town or the pool Delfin. It's the second biggest island in the Rovinj archipelago with a width of 130.000 m2.
The island is rich on various vegetation, about 450 different species but with predominant conifers.
The plantings of oleander bushes all along the paved paths to the beach are very interesting, and in the center of the island are vineyards and some olive trees.
The beaches are mainly on the east side of the island. These are small rocky and sandy bays with a view on Rovinj and the peninsula Zlatni Rt. In the southwest side of the island is a 20 m high cliff called Zlatna Stijena(golden rock) , slightly lower is the Srebrna Stijena(silver rock) and on the end is the Brončana Stijena(bronze rock) , the cliff if a challenge where only the bravest try their jump acrobatics.
The islands historic development in the time Rovinj started to develop in tourism pretty interesting.
By the end of the 19 century the Austrian Archduke Karl Stephan buys the island, in 1905 it became property of the polish Count Ignaz Milewskog who tried to arrange the environment competing with the owner of the island Saint Andrija(Red island) Count Huetterot. Milewsky had the island filled up with earth and plants. The paths have been paved and four piers for ships have been build as also tanks for rainwater and a luxurious castle on the lowest spot of the island. There are not many remains from that times and the castle has been rearranged several times.
Today the island has a hotel with many different contents.
The hotel Katarina offers various sports activities such as tennis, ping pong, beach volley and mini golf it also has a swimming pool for children and adults.