The Red island
Red island (Island of Saint Andrija)
The Red island is the biggest island in the archipelago of Rovinj with a width of 233.000 m2.
It's lined up with the island of Maškin, Šturag, Saint Ivan, and Saint Ivan on the horizon what proves that it once was part of the mainland. It's located on the south of Rovinj only 15 minutes away by boat, starting from the city boat dock on the main square or the smaller dock by the "Delfin" pool.
The island was inhabited by the Benedictine monks from the 6th to the 13th century and they builded there a monastery and a church. After the Benedictine monks Franciscans came to the island and reconstructed the monastery. The Franciscans live there by the arrival of the french in 1809 when the leave the monastery. Then there was an oil mill and a cement factory till 1980 when the Baron Georg von Huetterot bought it. He filled the island with earth, planted trees and rearranged the monastery into a family summerhouse. He fulfills the castle with artworks which remains are exposed in the town museum in Rovinj. The preserved section of the castle is today a naval museum and can be visited by arranged announcement.
The Huetterot descendants live there till 1945 and then the island became a social property intended for tourism . In the 70" as tourism reaches it's full swing the hotel Istra is being build.
The Red island offers to tourist plenty sports and recreation options such as :tennis, mini golf, ping pong, sailing and diving school, basketball, beach volley ball and playgrounds for children.
The island is overgrown by a rich vegetation, conifers and underbrush and many flower plantation and walkways.
The many gravelly and rocky beaches on the southern side give a special charm to the island and on the western side you will find several higher rocks favorable for jumping in the sea.
Today it's very popular to get married on the island.